I am afraid this blog entry is going to be another linker to a piece I wrote for Ottawa Tonite, a great online community that aims to promote arts and culture in Ottawa. For those of you who do no know, we at foodiePrints are members of Ottawa Tonite’s team of volunteer bloggers.
When I realized that the piece I was drafting about the premiere of W-Network’s Caroline & Dave involved more than food, television and showcasing an innovative restaurant idea in Ottawa, I decided to post it to Ottawa Tonite.
Here is a screen capture for posterity:
Here are links to other write-ups on the Caroline and Dave premiere from other food bloggers who attended:
- “The Restaurant Adventures of Caroline and Dave” by “J” of It Ain’t Meat Babe
- The Restaurant Adventures of Caroline and Dave by Jessica of Nooschi (@nooschi)
- “The Restaurant Adventures of Caroline and Dave (and the amazing ZenKitchen)” by Rachelle of Rachelle Eats Food
It was an absolute pleasure to meet each blogger. As Jessica points out in her piece, while perfect strangers, it felt like we were already familiar with each other.
In preparation for the event, I discovered that I know far too little about vegetarian cuisine, let alone vegan. With the Adventures of Caroline & Dave culminating in Ottawa’s first fine food vegan restaurant called Zen Kitchen, I asked the food community on Twitter for noted tomes to add to my collection. The response was tremendous. A chef (Chef Victoria Elsberry), food bloggers (Leela of SheShimmers and Sarah of What Smells So Good?), and Ottawa residents (@themagicfridge, @refashionista, @smart_spaces and @snobiwan) chimed in.
There were 2 mentions of Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Vegan With a Vengeance: 125 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free, Logo-Free Recipes That Rock and Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook.
There were two mentions of Deborah Madison. One particular cook book was listed, Greens Cookbook.
Other mentioned must-have Vegetarian/Vegan cook books:
- The Complete Vegan Cookbook: Over 200 Tantalizing Recipes Plus Plenty of Kitchen Wisdom for Beginners and Experienced Cooks by Susann Geiskopf-Hadler
- The New Laurel’s Kitchen by Laurel Robertson et al.
- The New Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas
- The Essential Vegetarian by Diana Shaw
- Fresh at Home by Ruth Brown
- Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian
Other mentioned noted cook book authors:
- Martha Rose Shulman
- Madhur Jaffrey
From the tweets I received, it looks like I have some searching to do in new and used book stores.
Speaking of cook books, at the Caroline & Dave premiere, I met Michael Bhardwaj of CBC Radio 1, host of In Town and Out. He will be airing regular segments, reviewing cook books. To Bhardwaj, I look forward to the reviews. Please say hi to Amrita Singh for me. And, can you ask the publishers when they will pursue Chef Ishii (Caroline of Caroline & Dave) of Zen Kitchen for a cook book?