Suffice it to say, Jenn and I are exhausted. It has been an amazing 10 days. Jenn ran her Army Run 5 km. We interviewed Gold Medal Plates Ottawa competing chef Caroline Ishii and had brunch at her restaurant, ZenKitchen (@zenkitchen613). Jenn was on the radio twice, Live 88.5 FM with Andrea (@cupincakes) the Tuesday and EZ Rock 99.7 FM with Lynne (@letwistedchef) the Friday. We met and had dinner with food journalist Mary Luz Mejia (@maryluzonfood) and Paola St-Georges of C’est Bon Cooking (@cestboncooking) at another Gold Medal Plates competing chef’s restaurant. This one, Chef Rene Rodriguez’s Navarra Restaurant (@navarrarest). Our wine blogger Claire went on assignment to discover wines of Puglia, Italy. We celebrated Festival La Vendemmia by taking Paola’s Foods of Preston Street tour. I joined the Savour Ottawa farm tour, visiting 3 of Ottawa’s 1267 local farms. Blog posts will be forthcoming.
Amongst everything, there was Capital Cupcake Camp 2.0, for which Jenn was on the radio. We were on the organizing committee with Ian (O’ Captain! My Captain!), Jenn (another Jenn), Andrea, Katherine, and Kaitlin. There were regular meetings, a crafts night, tweets (lots of tweets), Facebook updates, blog posts, phone calls, and many e-mails. Tickets sold out.
With the help of some hardworking volunteers and some generous sponsors the event came to pass. It saw thousands of cupcakes, hundreds of attendees, and dozens of bakers, both professionals and amateurs.
Together, we raised over $6000 that will be shared between two great causes, the Woman Alive/Femme Active Program and the Youth Services Bureau. It was quite the moment when Ian called us to the stage and announced we raised 3 times last year’s amount.
Please note, missing from the photo was Kaitlin. She was busy co-ordinating cupcake judging.
Here are some highlights from the event:
And here are our cupcake photos from the event.
What did we learn from Capital CupcakeCamp?
- Green highlighter makes poor cupcake name tags.
- There is quite the industry, creating innovative cupcake holders and stands.
- Ottawa bakes some beautiful cupcakes.
- Cupcake bakers are some of the nicest people to talk with.
- CupcakeCamp gathers some of the city’s finest.
- Volunteers at Capital CupcakeCamp eat few cupcakes. Jenn and I each had one. She, something from Little Cakes Cupcakes. Me, something from event sponsor The Flour Shoppe. Thank-you Colleen, Shakira, and Melissa.
The most surprising thing we heard from Capital CupcakeCamp?
- Several attendees said Capital CupcakeCamp wasn’t well advertised.
And, what did two food bloggers walk away from Capital CupcakeCamp with? New friendships, a list of new bakers, and cookies.
Heartfelt thanks to bakers, attendees, volunteers (especially little Eleanor), our fellow sponsors, our fellow organizers, and our esteemed celebrity judges.
Addendum: Here are photos from Jenn’s interview at EZ Rock 99.7 FM with Lynne.
Apparently, the radio hosts challenged each other to a bake off.
Update: The backs of our t-shirts listed the event’s sponsors.
Many participated as volunteers.
Here is a list of blog posts we’ve come across on Capital CupcakeCamp:
- Blurasis: Capital Cupcake Camp 2010 (this blog belongs to Ming Wu, photographer and friend to foodiePrints)
- The WildWork Station: The Return of the Ever Yummy Cupcakes in The Capital – S06E03 (this blog belongs to Lenny Wu, Ming’s brother)
- The Village Cake Lady Blog: Capitol Cupcake Camp (this blog belongs to one of the bakers; thank-you for participating)
- The Twisted Chef: No More Cupcakes (this blog belongs to Lynne, one of our esteemed judges)
- Geek Sweets: I had the strangest dream…, All dressed up…, and Capital Cupcake Camp 2010 (this blog belongs to another baker; congrats on the win and thank-you for participating)
- The Vanilla Bean Baker: Back From Camp (this blog belongs to Paula, another baker and friend; thank-you for participating)
- Heartful Mouthful: a sweet success (this blog belongs to Kaitlin, fellow food blogger, organizer, and volunteer)
- Apartment 613: No Crumb Left Behind: Cupcake Camp 2.0 Wrap-up (this blog requires no introduction, thanks guys!)