One thing I find most challenging about cooking is writing down a recipe. In our home, a typical conversation between me and Don goes something like this…
Don: “How did you make that?”
Me: “Erm, well, I used this and that and that and some of that.”
Don: “How much of each ingredient did you use?”
Me: “Uh, I used a handful of this and a splash of that. Oh! And I shook this jar of spices a few times onto the meat.”
It culminates in Don staring at me and shaking his head. You see, I’m terrible at writing down recipes. After years of watching my mother and grandmother cook, I mostly cook by smell, taste, and sight. Unless I am baking, I rarely ever follow recipes, let alone write measurements on paper. Besides, I thought, “Who would ask me for a recipe?”
The Anyday Magic Recipe Makeover is a year-long competition, each round challenging three different food bloggers to “makeover” a given recipe, use cream instead of milk, and when possible, to use butter rather than oil. Also, the new recipe must contain the main ingredients from the old one. Once the recipes are received, they are posted on the Anyday Magic website and the public is invited to vote for their favourite using facebook.
Selected to participate in the first round, we had to re-make a breakfast dish, a bowl of “hot oatmeal with a spoon of yogurt and a handful of frozen berries from the summer.” After much debate, Don and I settled on a pancake recipe using fresh blueberries, rolled oats, and 10% cream (half-and-half in lieu of yogurt).
Click here for our entry.
Very Berry Oatmeal Pancakes
What You’ll Need:
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 cups (500 ml) 10% half-and-half cream (or 5% light cream)
- ¾ cup (185 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 cups (500 ml) blueberries
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- ½ tsp (2 ml) pure vanilla extract
- Butter for cooking
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup of cream with the rolled oats. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining cream, eggs, oil and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients along with the rolled oats mixture. Stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix. Gently fold the blueberries into the mixture.
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt some butter over medium heat. Using a ¼ measuring cup (50 ml), pour in batter for each pancake. Cook until underside is golden (about 1 ½ to 2 minutes) and bubbles break on top.
- Using a spatula, flip the pancakes until the underside is golden (about 1 to 1 ½ minutes). Serve hot with maple syrup. Sprinkle fresh blueberries on top and with fresh fruit on the side.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Yields: Makes approximately 12 pancakes – 4 to 6 servings
This dish is best served warm. You can also substitute the cream for a lower-fat milk. Finally, add your favourite fruits to accompany the pancakes. I love blueberries, pineapple. cherries, and strawberries.
Finally, drizzle some maple syrup, a pat of butter or a dollop of whip cream on top of the pancakes, and voila! Time to start your morning with a delicious breakfast!
After two months of voting, I am excited to reveal that foodiePrints are the winners of Round 1. And to thank our readers for voting, we are delighted to announce that Dairy Farmers of Canada has given us 10 prize packs to give away. Each pack includes a new spatula and whisk.
Anyday Magic Recipe Makeover Giveaway
To enter the giveaway, simply leave a comment below and let us know how you would “makeover” the original recipe of a bowl of oatmeal. A draw for 10 names will be made on Wednesday, May 16th at noon using Random.org.
Addendum: This giveaway is open to Canadian residents, but is void in Quebec.
The ten winners of the giveaway, courtesy of Dairy Farmers Canada, follow:
- Eve Honeywell
- Heather, Mmm… is for Mommy
- Paula Roy
Many thanks to all those who entered.
Tags: Anyday Magic, Dairy Goodness, featured, giveaway, Recipe Makeover